The Cactus - Sarah Haywood


This time I will be reviewing Sarah Haywood's The Cactus, which I stumbled across completely by accident as I found myself at a train station with no reading material. The W H Smith at Manchester Piccadilly has a very teeny book selection so I was not left with a lot of choice, but I'm so pleased I picked this one in the end! The novel follows Susan Green, a stubborn and independent woman who does as she likes, when she likes. In many ways the book is similar to Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine, so if you enjoyed that one then I'd definitely recommend this one!

The title refers both to Susan's personal love for cactus plants and small collection she owns, as well as representing her prickly nature. The novel begins as Susan's mother dies, and as Susan also discovers that she is with child. The unexpected pregnancy is the result of a sort of 'friends with benefits' agreement, as she has no interest in relationships and the child's father is merely a companion with whom to enjoy all the aspects of a relationship but with none of the commitment.

Upon discovering that she is pregnant, and that her mother has left her house to Susan's brother Edward, Susan's simple and organised life becomes chaotic. The novel is similar to Eleanor Oliphant as the protagonist finds herself pushing her comfort zones, and breaking free of her regimented routine in order to become more sociable. This is such a feel-good novel and also throws in a few unexpected plot twists which really make it entertaining. I laughed out loud at parts, and Haywood's style is really very engaging. If you're looking for a lighthearted, enjoyable read, then definitely go for this one!

Comments