An Orchestra of Minorities - Chigozie Obioma


I saw that this novel had been shortlisted for the 2019 Man Booker prize and it immediately jumped out at me as one I had to read. I was not disappointed! For such a hefty book I got through this in a remarkably short amount of time - I was completely gripped throughout. The novel is hailed as a contemporary twist on 'The Odyssey', and is narrated by the chi of a Nigerian farmer, Chinonso. It took me a little while to get my head around the narrative voice, which is effectively Chinonso's spirit, but who speaks about Chinonso almost as though he is a friend and not the same entity.

Once I'd found my feet within the narrative, things became much clearer. The voice of Chinonso's chi, or guardian spirit if you like, uses quite a lot of exclamative (Igbo, I believe) words and phrases dotted sporadically within the text, which refer to the 'old fathers' and the different layers of the universe. If you spend too much time trying to decipher their meaning, you'll get lost - just take them as they are, as knowing their meaning doesn't necessarily alter your reading of the story. 

The novel begins when Chinonso prevents a woman, Ndali, from jumping off a bridge. A great romance ensues and the pair become inseparable. Chinonso has no family and his livelihood is a small poultry farm, and his humble lifestyle charms Ndali who he soon discovers is the daughter of a rich and powerful chief. Before long, as their romance blossoms, Chinonso comes to the realisation that Ndali's family will never accept him into their home as he is what they deem as unworthy of their daughter. This novel really hits you in the heart and you form an attachment to Chinonso, through the beautiful language of Obioma, very quickly.

In an effort to better himself and be worthy of Ndali's love, Chinonso sacrifices everything he has built to put himself through university so that her family will accept him as an educated man. Throughout the tale of the protagonist, he suffers a great many setbacks and blows and the story of his life is utterly heartbreaking and mesmerising. The novel is really unlike anything I have read - the colour of Chinonso's skin is not the focus of his chastisement here, but it is his upbringing which ultimately restricts his opportunity. 

I won't spoil the end, but I will say that I was left completely baffled and discombobulated - even the person sitting next to me on the train asked if I was okay! Obioma's character portrayal and plot development is utterly beautiful and certain phrases and descriptions made me stop for a moment just to take them in further - it really was lyrical in parts. A huge huge recommendation from me!

Comments