And Then There Were None - Agatha Christie


I think it's safe to say that I've found a new favourite author! How has it taken me this long to read any Agatha Christie? I watched the BBC adaptation of And Then There Were None a couple of years ago (mostly because Poldark was cast as Lombard) and absolutely loved it - luckily, I couldn't remember who the killer was so I went into the book with a fresh perspective. Christie's writing style is fairly simplistic and easy to read, and her plots are just so clever. I really tried to figure it out and be clever about my thought process when reading, but of course, she completely fooled me and I was in the palm of her hand. I thought perhaps I'd find the style fairly old-fashioned, but it's just timeless.

The novel follows a group of ten strangers who are invited by mysterious host 'U. N. Owen' to spend some time on the remote Soldier Island, off the coast of Devon, each under unusual circumstances. Their host is nowhere to be found and they soon realise that any hope of them getting back is fruitless due to the bad weather disabling the passage of the little ferry. On their first night, a strategically placed gramophone plays a recording which details the murders they are each accused of, which all but one deny. Over the next couple of days, each of the guests die in circumstances relating to a mysterious poem which hangs on the wall of each room:

Ten little soldier boys went out to dine; One choked his little self and then there were nine.
Nine little soldier boys sat up very late; One overslept himself and then there were eight.
Eight little soldier boys travelling in Devon; One said he'd stay there and then there were seven.
Seven little soldier boys chopping up sticks; One chopped himself in halves and then there were six. 
Six little soldier boys playing with a hive; A bumblebee stung one and then there were five.
Five little soldier boys going in for law; One got in Chancery and then there were four.
Four little soldier boys going out to sea; A red herring swallowed one and then there were three. 
Three little soldier boys walking in the Zoo; A big bear hugged one and then there were two.
Two little soldier boys sitting in the sun; One got frizzled up and then there was one.
One little soldier boy left all alone; He went and hanged himself and then there were none.

I can honestly say that I got myself pretty scared whilst reading this - the gloomy and eerie atmosphere sets a brilliant scene for a creepy nighttime read, and I did struggle to sleep after reading it! The author has a remarkable way of making you suspect each and every person in her 'whodunnit', until you are left completely flabbergasted as to who the true murderer is. In the pretext of the novel, a quote from Christie explained that this was her most difficult book to write, and took the most planning, and I can certainly see that an extreme amount of thought went into the clever detail of the narrative. Who thought I'd become a sucker for a good murder mystery?

Since reading this I've gone and purchased Murder on the Orient Express, The Murder of Roger Ackroyd and The ABC Murders - I can feel an obsession beginning to grow! If you haven't read any Agatha Christie novels, don't be put off by their age - I urge you to read them and most likely discover a new favourite!

Comments