Girl - Edna O'Brien


Girl by Edna O’Brien is my seventh Women's Prize longlist read, and has become another of my favourites! The novel follows a young woman named Maryam in rural Nigeria who is kidnapped by Boko Haram, a notorious terror organisation. The story is extremely harrowing and visceral, with scenes of death by stoning and gang rape - so be warned, it can be pretty upsetting at times. Maryam is chosen from the group of prisoners to be given as a prize to one of the soldiers, who she marries and quickly becomes pregnant to. The soldier, Mahmoud, confesses how he betrayed his family and due to his guilt, gives her a wedge of money to escape with. She takes her baby, whom she calls Babba, and along with her friend they make a dash for it. ⠀⠀

I tend to read books without doing any prior research into their background or author (unless it’s by an author who I’m already familiar with). I had no idea when I began this that it was written by an Irish author, and when a friend pointed it out I struggled between my love for the book and feeling slightly uncomfortable at the writer being so far away from her protagonist with an acute lack of first-hand experience to bolster her storytelling. ⠀

Yet having finished the book and reflecting upon its contents, I also think that it’s important that an author, whatever heritage they may have, make this story known - in 2014, 276 young girls were abducted by Boko Haram. I think O’Brien has given a powerful voice to her protagonist and illuminated the horrors of very real experiences beautifully. It’s a story that needs to be heard, no matter who tells it. Here’s hoping that Girl makes the shortlist!

Comments