Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn

I finally got round to reading this super hyped-up book! And I really enjoyed it!

I've had this on my shelf for a while and finally grabbed it last week. I haven't seen the film before so I really had no idea what to expect from it. The novel begins with Amy Elliott's diary, back when her and Nick met at a party. They become an item and we follow Amy's story as she writes about their blossoming love. The next chapter is set in the present day - the day Amy has gone. Nick narrates these chapters, and they alternate between 'now' and 'then', with Amy's diary revealing the history of the couple. In the present day, it is their five year anniversary - as per tradition, Amy has constructed a treasure hunt for Nick to lead him to his gift. Before he has chance to solve the clues, he returns home from work to find the front door wide open and signs of a struggle in their home. Amy is nowhere to be found. 

From the get-go, we trust Amy. Her diary presents her as a loving, thoughtful and caring person and she immediately gets us on her side. On the other hand, Nick appears to be somewhat unreliable. His interaction with the detectives who are investigating Amy's disappearance is slightly unnatural and his story doesn't add up. He hasn't even bought Amy anything for their anniversary. As the story unfolds, police find strange searches on his computer and credit card bills with worrying purchases listed - all of these things, Nick denies any part in.

This novel is a rollercoaster ride, and prepare for everything you initially think about the story to be challenged or proved wrong. It's full of twists and turns, some pretty dark and harrowing scenes (trigger warning), and you'll be left screaming internally. My only qualm about the novel was that at times I found it to be pretty fantastical and difficult to believe. Apart from the odd eye-roll moment, I found this a compelling and gripping read which I devoured. If you want something easy to get into and exciting, I'd recommend this novel for sure!

Comments