Mansfield Park - Jane Austen

 

I'm pretty sad to say that I didn't enjoy this novel very much. Aside from Emma, I have now read all of Jane Austen's completed works, and I have loved every one of them so far - excepting this one. The novel, first published in 1814, is generally considered one of her slower-paced stories, and perhaps this was why I didn't find it compelling. It follows our young heroine, Fanny Price, who is sent to live with rich relatives so that she can learn the value of decorum and a good upbringing. She is largely a lonely child whose only ally thus far has been her cousin, Edmund, whom she comes to rely on and consider her best friend.

Her cousins soon befriend the glamourous siblings, Henry and Mary Crawford, and their time becomes consumed with their exciting new acquaintances. In particular, Edmund becomes entranced by Mary, and Fanny sees through her innocent act. This book is largely a social commentary, something which Austen certainly did well, and there are moments of real wit and gumption which come through in the writing. She focuses mainly on the greed of most shallow people and their desire only to advance their own position. However, I sadly found very little plot for such a large book (about 550 pages and not much happened at all!), and felt that I needed a little more.

Yes, the novel was certainly character-driven, and Fanny in particular was well characterised. But few of the characters were very likeable, and this in combination with the lack of plot development had me yawning rather a lot and feeling as though it was a chore to pick up the book. I wasn't really invested even in Fanny, which I felt disappointed about (although I was happy for her at the ending). Compared to the likes of Elinor, Marianne and Elizabeth Bennett, I felt that the character was lacking something (I know, I'm sorry!). This book is undoubtedly a slow burner but I've heard that it is one which can get better with a second or even a third read.

Comments