The Thursday Murder Club - Richard Osman

I’d been desperate to read The Thursday Murder Club for ages so when someone lent it to me I was thrilled - this really lived up to the hype! Richard Osman is a natural author and I’m super excited to read the sequel which is currently in the works.

The book is set in the British countryside at a residential home for the elderly, and follows a group of four eighty-something friends who meet up every Thursday to discuss unsolved murders. That is, until someone is killed in the local community, and they finally have a current murder investigation to solve.

This book, on the surface, is a hilarious and mega-British sitcom which is highly entertaining and heartwarming. But beneath that is a seriously complex and cleverly-written story which, at times, had me checking back a few pages to make sure I was still following.

The characters are charming, sweet and cheeky and the capers and mishaps of the elderly residents make for really comedic passages. Elizabeth was potentially my favourite character, as she was just so canny and sharp for her age, but I also had a real bond with Joyce, particularly through her diary entries, as she was just the grandma we all want really.

If you want to read a quintessentially British-humoured, compelling and fun novel, I’d highly recommend this one. I have been a fan of Richard Osman for a while and I can’t wait to see what literary creation he pulls out of the bag next!

Comments