David Copperfield - Charles Dickens



After finally finishing this monstrous book, it's time for my review of Dickens' David Copperfield, about which he wrote 'of all my books I like this the best'. Personally, this wasn't my favourite of his - sorry Charles!

David Copperfield follows the eponymous David from childhood, throughout adolescence to adulthood, documenting the fortunes, trials and tribulations in the first person. It begins with the unfortunate childhood David endured, born without a father and subjected to the remarriage of his beloved mother to a tyrannical man and his equally domineering sister.

When David is sent away to school, he endures further poor treatment and the receives the news of his mother's death. The luckless boy eventually runs away, living as a vagrant until finding his aunt's house where he is swiftly taken under her wing as a proper guardian and protector. There are comparisons to be made with Oliver Twist, though David's own hardships do not come close to the horrors which little Oliver was inflicted with.

I am a great fan of Dickens' writing and there are many loveable things about this book - David is a wonderful protagonist and there are many funny, heartfelt and moving passages throughout. You undoubtedly become attached to the characters in this novel and there are many which are indeed memorable and full of quirk and wit.

My only real problem with this novel was its length. At just short of 800 pages, I felt it was entirely too long and drawn out and could have been condensed to half the length without losing any of its value. I found myself at times drifting off and then almost missing a part of real importance in the story, as it had been so fluffed out with less important dialogue and (I'm sorry!) slightly dull recollections. In hindsight I would say I liked this novel but whilst reading I must admit, I had to really try at times! If I'm being honestI much preferred Great Expectations and A Tale of Two Cities.

Comments